Skip to main content

Responsible Inner Voices & Goal-Directed Footsteps

 “Mom, I’ve got a question.” I love these teaser comments that typically occur while we are driving to or from school. This comment occurred one day on our way to school. 

 

“What is it?”

 

“If Mrs. Steinbach says it’s okay, could we go home instead of go to school today?” Mrs. Steinbach is our Head of School. 

 

“Why would you go home instead of go to school today?”

 

“I want to play Roblox and watch YouTube.” 

 

“So, your plan would be to tell Mrs. Steinbach that you are wanting to stay home today, even though you aren’t sick, don’t have a doctor’s appointment, and have no legitimate reason to stay home except that you would rather play Roblox and watch YouTube than go to school?”

 

“Yes.”

 

“Okay. If you explain all of what I said to Mrs. Steinbach and she says it’s okay for you go home instead of school, that’s fine with me.”

 

“Really?” I nodded. “So, you’ll take us home if she says yes?” I nodded again and smiled as I heard my children celebrate her anticipated yes.

***

It was a very low risk “yes” to give.  

 

Can’t we all relate to the request, though? Haven’t we all exhaled a deep sigh as we pick up our car keys and release the fantasy of remaining in our jammies and sinking into the couch for a long day of movie watching or TV binging? How do we teach our children to reach for the car keys instead of the phone to call out sick?

 

I once read a quote that what we say to our children will become their inner voice. Profound, isn’t it? Much of my professional work with adults involves helping them find a new inner voice because they internalized too much shame and emotional pain from the voices they heard when they were children. I realize that the wise author missed an important aspect.

 

What we say to our children will become their inner voice and what they watch us do will guide their footsteps. If we want our children to become responsible, resilient adults who live independently and sustain employment, that process begins with how we respond to seemingly easy requests like “Could I stay home today?” or “Could I skip my math homework?”

 

As parents, much of our decision-making occurs in our heads and our children are exposed to the final results, but not the process leading to them. When we take time to loop them in on our internal dialogue, we model effective decision-making. Let’s consider some parental responses to the Roblox/YouTube request.

 

Option 1. “No.” Easy, clear, direct…and likely to inspire whining or seething anger. It also distances us from our goal of encouraging them to think through aspects of responsible decision-making.

 

Option 2. “Sure.” Tempting, but distances us from our goal of having them eventually morph into responsible grown-ups who function independently. 

 

Option 3. “Let me think about that. You want to stay home instead of going to school. You have no reason other than wanting a day off, right? I get why that sounds appealing and taking a break sounds very relaxing and fun. I also get why that isn’t a responsible choice when there is a lot of important learning happening at school. Let’s go with a better option: We’ll both go to work and enjoy our free time when we get home. This weekend if you want to spend one day staying in your jammies and watching Roblox and YouTube, I’m on board with that plan.” If you haven’t already, remind your children that while they are full-time students, their job is to go to school and encourage them to identify what traits and behaviors are associated with being a “responsible worker.” Once the operational definition of “responsible worker” is established, it’s an easy reference tool to assess behavioral or attitude choices (e.g. “Hmm. Are you being a responsible worker right now?”).  Feel free to plagiarize the line I use: “My job is to go to work and earn money to support our family. Your job is to go to school and do your work so that one day you’re a responsible worker who is supporting yourself.” 

*** 

Same day, car ride home. “So, I notice you never came to my office and asked me to take you home. What did Mrs. Steinbach say?”

 

“I never asked her.”

 

“Why not?”

 

“I knew she’d say no.”

 

“Why?” 

 

“Because she wants kids to go to school.”

 

I looked in the rearview mirror. “It isn’t always fun being responsible, is it?” He shook his head. I smiled at him. “You know what I could get onboard with?” His eyebrows lifted slightly. “An extra half hour of Roblox and YouTube watching after you get your homework finished.” He then shared that he had worked hard during advisory to finish his homework, so his oral reading was the only outstanding assignment. “That sounds really responsible. Great job.” 

 

My friends, may we honor the responsibility we carry as we respond to their simple requests. May they become adults with self-compassionate, resilient, and responsible inner voices and goal-directed footsteps as a result of the work we are doing today. Ubuntu. Jennifer



Dr. Ayres’s Counselor’s Corner blogs are intended to address readers’ questions about parenting, self-care, relationships, motivation and other psychology-related issues. They are not a substitute for professional advice or therapy. If you have topics for future blogs, please send them to jayres@rawsonsaunders.org. Names and identifying information will be protected.



Comments

  1. I like this blog post! Agree with everything you said and very well-written!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Answering Children's Difficult Questions

  “What are we supposed to say to the kids?” A teacher asked me Wednesday morning when we arrived on campus. I knew immediately what she meant. News of the school shooting in Uvalde hit too closely to home for us as Central Texans, parents and educators. What are we supposed to say to the kids following something that is difficult for adults to understand? My journey to answering that very challenging question began almost 22 years ago.   I began my career with a postdoctoral fellowship in child abuse and trauma in August 2000. Unbeknownst to us at the time, my fellow postdoc and I were 12 months away from being called upon to support children, parents, and teachers through the terrorist attacks of September 11, 2001. Far too often in the intervening years, I have needed to dust off my child trauma psychologist toolbelt to help parents and teachers find ways to soothe their children’s fears while they themselves are grappling with big, heavy emotions.    Here is what I know for sure:  

The Valentine's Cards

My public apologies to Angel and Giovanni’s reading and math teachers. We didn’t do any homework last night. We didn’t even get the three-ring binders out of their backpacks. Although some of you may disagree, I think we did something more important. We assembled Valentine’s Day cards for their fellow fourth graders and advisors. Fourth grade is an interesting year for Valentine’s Day talk. Children at this age are in the developmental stage between platonic love for friends and emerging love for potential romantic partners. To exemplify the struggles that characterize this “in the middle” stage, a couple weeks ago, many fourth graders had a strong, aversive reaction to a kissing scene in the movie Wonder . My fellow SEL teaching comrade and I shared a smile during their dramatic attempts to shield their still-very-young eyes from the brief, awkward, first-kiss scene between two teenagers on screen. Later Angel told me that he really enjoyed the movie, but not the kissing scene

Compassion Stickers

  I participated in a conference call recently. After the initial check-in and introductions, the facilitator asked us a question that was simple and profound. “What are you letting go of right now to give yourself compassion?” There were about 10 of us on this conference call and most of us had a response that tied to a basic theme of relinquishing our need for predictability and/or control. We returned to the importance of remembering that “right now” will not last “forever.” I appreciate the facilitator’s question that redirected our attention from managing our anxiety to finding compassion for ourselves during this difficult time. I forget at times that the two are so interconnected. When I feel anxious, I become more vulnerable to the judgmental commentary of my inner critic and her negative predictions. I forget that her negative predictions are a story, not something that is actually true. When I respond to my anxiety and my inner critic’s ramblings with the compassion