Skip to main content

Bubble Wishes

"If you are exhausted about your heart's obsession with the fixed past and your mind's focus on the uncertain future

your lungs are the perfect place for you.

There is no yesterday in your lungs, there is no tomorrow there either.

There is only now. 

There is only inhale. 

There is only exhale. 

There is only this moment.

There is only breath…

and in that breath, you can rest while your heart and head work their relationship out."

 

Poem excerpt from The Anatomy of Peace (John Roedel)

*** 

Years ago, at the very beginning my career, I ran a group for young children who had been exposed to intimate partner violence. The oldest child in the group was six and the other five kids were four or five. We met every Wednesday night from 6:30-8 while their mothers met in their own group to process their traumatic experiences. My group was chaotic, fun, and one of the highlights of my week. 

 

I remember teaching them about deep breathing. I had them place a hand on their little chests and another on their small bellies. I encouraged them to try to have their belly hands rise while their chest hands remained flat. That didn’t work, for them or for me. 

 

Our clinic was located in the San Fernando Valley in a suburb of Los Angeles and typically the sun began setting as the group began and it was dark when we ended. On one particular evening, we caught the edges of the sunset as we walked outside and appreciated the smells from the McDonalds across the street. We discussed a common enjoyment of French fries and Happy Meal toys. Then we sat on the grass and took turns blowing bubbles from the bottle I had grabbed impulsively on my way to group.

 

It began as simply blowing bubbles and feeling our bodies inhale deeply and slowly release the air. We felt our lungs expand and slowly release our breath and then watched our breath get carried away on the bubbles. 

 

I added an element after a few rounds of bubble-blowing. I asked them to make a wish and release the wish with the bubbles. The wishes ranged from bicycles to dads who didn’t yell to helping grumpy teachers be nicer to French fries. It was a beautiful moment. A few months later, one of the boys came to group, reported he had had a rough day at school, and asked if we could make “bubble wishes” that night. Bubble wishes, it turns out, are a good way to soothe the pains of a rough day. 

 

It’s two decades later and now those young children are in their mid-twenties. Many of them are likely parents themselves. My guess would be that they have forgotten those Wednesday night groups and the trauma work we did. They also likely forgot they named my sheep dog puppet “Peri” (short for “perrito” – “puppy” in Spanish) and one evening helped him get brave enough to leave my duffel bag when we discussed how to support friends who are frightened. They also likely don’t remember strategies Speedy the turtle used to handle his anger. Or that one of them once pointed to “ecstatic” on the feelings magnet and said “That’s a whole lot of happy.” (Isn’t that the best description ever for “ecstatic?”) I carry those memories for all of us, I suppose. But I hope the bubble wishes stuck for them, as they did for me. 

*** 

this morning, while my brain was busy reading tea leaves

and while my heart was staring at old photographs 

I packed a little bag and walked to the door of my lungs

before I could even knock she opened the door with a smile and, 

as a gust of air embraced me, 

she said "what took you so long?"

 

My friends, may we find sanctuary in our lungs when our hearts and heads are working out their relationship. May we have moments of a whole lot of happy in the midst of challenging times. And may we never stop blowing bubble wishes. Ubuntu, Jennifer 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Answering Children's Difficult Questions

  “What are we supposed to say to the kids?” A teacher asked me Wednesday morning when we arrived on campus. I knew immediately what she meant. News of the school shooting in Uvalde hit too closely to home for us as Central Texans, parents and educators. What are we supposed to say to the kids following something that is difficult for adults to understand? My journey to answering that very challenging question began almost 22 years ago.   I began my career with a postdoctoral fellowship in child abuse and trauma in August 2000. Unbeknownst to us at the time, my fellow postdoc and I were 12 months away from being called upon to support children, parents, and teachers through the terrorist attacks of September 11, 2001. Far too often in the intervening years, I have needed to dust off my child trauma psychologist toolbelt to help parents and teachers find ways to soothe their children’s fears while they themselves are grappling with big, heavy emotions.    Here is what I know for sure:  

The Valentine's Cards

My public apologies to Angel and Giovanni’s reading and math teachers. We didn’t do any homework last night. We didn’t even get the three-ring binders out of their backpacks. Although some of you may disagree, I think we did something more important. We assembled Valentine’s Day cards for their fellow fourth graders and advisors. Fourth grade is an interesting year for Valentine’s Day talk. Children at this age are in the developmental stage between platonic love for friends and emerging love for potential romantic partners. To exemplify the struggles that characterize this “in the middle” stage, a couple weeks ago, many fourth graders had a strong, aversive reaction to a kissing scene in the movie Wonder . My fellow SEL teaching comrade and I shared a smile during their dramatic attempts to shield their still-very-young eyes from the brief, awkward, first-kiss scene between two teenagers on screen. Later Angel told me that he really enjoyed the movie, but not the kissing scene

Compassion Stickers

  I participated in a conference call recently. After the initial check-in and introductions, the facilitator asked us a question that was simple and profound. “What are you letting go of right now to give yourself compassion?” There were about 10 of us on this conference call and most of us had a response that tied to a basic theme of relinquishing our need for predictability and/or control. We returned to the importance of remembering that “right now” will not last “forever.” I appreciate the facilitator’s question that redirected our attention from managing our anxiety to finding compassion for ourselves during this difficult time. I forget at times that the two are so interconnected. When I feel anxious, I become more vulnerable to the judgmental commentary of my inner critic and her negative predictions. I forget that her negative predictions are a story, not something that is actually true. When I respond to my anxiety and my inner critic’s ramblings with the compassion